What is an antonym?
- Beautiful → Ugly
- Thin → Thick
- Cry → Laugh
- Long → Short
Important Points about Antonyms
- The words ‘book, yellow, table, wall’ do not have antonyms.
∗ The positive-negative forms of the verbs do not create opposition. They report whether the same action has taken place. It has to be a different word to create an antonym. In short, the negative of a word is not its opposite.
- Coming (positive) – not coming (negative) ≠ No antonyms.
- Coming – going = There is an antonym relationship.
∗ The antonym of a word changes according to its use in the sentence.
- I have short hair. → long hair
- I am shorter than my friends. → taller